I love to craft but what I don't like is anything that is too time consuming or costly. Like everyone else, I am always pressed for time, and also, quite often the supplies to make something cost more than the finished product. Today I have a spring wreath to show you that cost me nothing because I used supplies I already had and it took all of ten minutes to put together.
I received this very small grapevine wreath as a gift from a friend. She had it beautifully decorated with sunflowers and it hung on a wall in my house till the flowers faded from the sun. Eventually, I knew it's time had come, so I pulled off the old decorations. I thought the grapevine wreath was still re-usable and since it was winter, I just wrapped some glitter holly berries around it and hung it on my porch. This is what it looked like during the winter season:
Well now that it is spring, I wanted a spring wreath for my porch. So off the holly berries came and this is what is left of my wreath.
Now I don't have a huge storage of artificial flowers, but I always save pieces from other arrangements that are still in good shape and re-usable. I have a small tote of spring flowers, a small tote of summer flowers, and one large tote of greenery. Fall and Christmas florals are another story: I have more totes of those than I can count!
I picked colors that I thought would compliment the red and white colors of my porch, and were also typically known to bloom in spring.
I also picked three different colors and three different shapes, plus a green plant. It's always best to work in odd numbers when creating a floral arrangement of any kind.
Because purple and red look great together, and lilacs bloom in spring, I chose three sprigs of lilac flowers. I also chose this flower for it's cylinder shape.
My only tool I used was wire cutters to cut the stems to the length I needed. I did not hot glue any of the flowers in place, because I want to be able to take them out and replace them with summer flowers later in the season.
I simply stuck the three stems right into the grapevine wreath where I wanted them, making sure they were nice and snug.
Next, I picked a round shape flower, hydrangeas, that were a lighter purple than the lilacs and I placed them right in the center of the lilacs. I thought it was a great filler and kind of acted like a bow because it was right in the center where I would normally put a bow if I used one, and it also beautifully filled in the space because of it's roundness.
Then I thought the wreath needed more greenery. I had one interesting green plant in my stash so I decided to use it. I cut it in half, then used the floral portion of that stem by the hydrangea and the leafy portion by the lilac on the left. Can you see it? It's a lime green color.
By now, my wreath was looking too purple to me and needed some color. Because the center of the hydrangea flowers were yellow, I thought my yellow tulips that I used in my Easter Centerpiece (see that post HERE), would work perfectly. I hated to cut them, but I did anyway because I've already gotten my money's worth out of this bouquet of tulips numerous times.
Once every flower was in place, I felt one more lilac was needed to fill out the wreath, so I added it on the bottom.
And with the addition of the three pretty tulips, my wreath was done. I thought of adding ribbon, but I liked the way it looked without it. I also liked just leaving a third of the grapevine exposed rather than covering the entire wreath.
I then hung the wreath outside on my side porch. Because I re-used supplies, it didn't cost me anything, so I'm not worried if the elements damage it a bit. It is under a porch awning, but strong winds or sunlight could do some harm, so I would never want to put something costly here.
I also made a swag using the same techniques HERE in case you missed that post.
Have a Great Day! Amy
Linking Up with these Fabulous Blogs HERE.